Friday, December 14, 2012

Don't Wanna Be Like That

Last night while folding laundry, I caught the better part of a new evening game show called Take It All. In the first rounds, contestants compete for unusual and increasingly expensive prizes by guessing their value, and at the end of each round, the contestant in possession of the least valuable prize is eliminated. I have to admit, I was drawn in by the sometimes bizarre prizes and their surprising values.

In the final round, when there are only two contestants left, the game is changed: the last two players must negotiate a deal in order to actually win the prizes. The game is decided by a secret ballot - if both vote to "take mine," they each go home with the prizes they accumulated throughout the game. If one contestant votes "take it all," that person takes both players' prizes, and the loser leaves with nothing. The catch is that if both contestants choose "take it all," then neither of them wins anything.

So basically, the object of the game is to convince, cajole, coerce, trick, and/or manipulate the other person into selecting "take mine." It is deceit and avarice for the purpose of entertainment. I was sick to my stomach after watching it.

Take me away.

2 comments:

Dade Cariaga said...

This show you describe: I've seen the same premise used in "team building" exercises at work. I remember being outraged at the stupidity of the people who would choose to betray by "taking it all." Seemed so destructive.

Thanks for your comment on my blog post about the Peter Jackson flick.

And I really like your blog. I can tell we agree on a lot. Especially about Republicans.

Knight of Nothing said...

Goodness, that sounds horrible.

Thank you so much! Glad you like my blog. FYI - I just posted my review of The Hobbit, have a look if you are interested.