Sunday, October 5, 2008

Grampa Jim

My grandpa died today.

One of the many difficult things that comes with dealing with a death in the family is an awareness that there have been words left unsaid and deeds left undone. My relationship with him feels somehow unfinished, and now it must remain so. I suppose one cannot truly "finish" a relationship. But it hurts to feel the loss of someone so dear and so lively in heart and mind. There were many things I would have yet liked to have learned from him, and I long to hear more tales from his life in his own words.

I am grateful to have known him and I am very proud to be counted among his grandchildren.

10 comments:

SassyMandaG said...

Sam,

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. I know your grandpa was dear to your heart.

{ Thinking of you. }

Pernox said...

Sorry to hear this Sam.

Our condolences.

Anonymous said...

He will be with you in dreams and spirit. I had a nice chat with my dad just last week in a dream. He seeems to show up whenever I need some advice!

We are here for you Sam.

Love! Alison

Knight of Nothing said...

Amanda, Shawn, Alison - thank you for your thoughts and condolences. I appreciate them. Even though he was old, it was pretty sudden and my family and I are pretty stunned.

Anonymous said...

Sam, my deepest sympathy for your loss - it must have been wonderful to have him in your life. We're thinking of you.

Paape Family said...

Sam, Grandparents hold such a special place in our hearts. My thoughts are with you as you deal with his loss. Remember to celebrate all the great memories!!

Becky

Tiff said...

So sorry to hear! :( And thank you for naming it Grandpa Jim...I almost freaked out till I saw Jim. Please promise me that you will call me BEFORE you post about Bill!!

Knight of Nothing said...

James John Welter, 1922 - 2008

John Gustav-Wrathall said...

Saturday I heard that your grandfather was close to death. I am so sorry to hear about this loss, and will be thinking of you in the coming days.

Anonymous said...

Sam,

I don't know your pain or loss, but I can tell from your words and from talking to you that your grandfater was a great man a led a wonderful life. There are parts of you that would not be the same except for him, and and so his legacy is part of the person you are. Thank you.

Paul